Parish Life at Saint Peter Cathedral
St. Peter Cathedral is a vibrant parish community. We welcome all to participate in parish life. It is a great way to get to know other members of our community and grow in faith. There are many activities and planned events that enable our parish family to thrive. We rely upon volunteers to facilitate our many offerings. First, since we are joined by the Holy Spirit and our shared Catholic Faith, we ask for your prayers. Second, we warmly invite you to attend any of the activities that interest you. Third, you are encouraged to help in keeping with your interests, talent and availability.
Our activities are organized into:
Spiritual & Liturgical Ministries
- LECTORS proclaim the Word of God at Sunday and daily Mass
- EUCHARISTIC MINISTERS serve as Extra-ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist at weekend and Holy Day Masses and special occasions
- ALTAR SERVERS fourth grade and older are welcome to participate in this special ministry
- MINISTERS OF HOSPITIALITY (Ushers and Greeters) welcome worshippers and collect the offertory at Mass.
- CHILDREN’S LITURGY OF THE WORD welcomes preschool through second grade children to Synod Hall during the Liturgy of the Word on Sundays at 8:30. Mass. Volunteers must have clearances
- CHOIR The Adult Choir Sings at the 11:00 Sunday Mass and other special events and practices at 10:15 on Sunday mornings. The Children’s Choir sings at the 8:30 Mass on Sunday.
- RELIGIOUS EDUCATION/YOUTH MINISTRY/EDGE takes place at St. Joseph Bread of Life community and includes weekly education and activities throughout the school year including preparation for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation.
- RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) welcomes Catechumens and Candidates interested in full participation in the Catholic Faith.
- PRE-CANA is offered yearly to members of the Erie Diocese preparing for the Sacrament of Marriage
- PRAYER CHAIN receives prayer requests and passes them along to those who have offered to pray.
- 31 CLUB “pray”ers commit to praying for vocations one day/month
- LITURGY OF THE HOURS are opportunities for communal prayer on Sundays during Advent and Lent and during the days of the Triduum
- THE ROSARY is prayed in communally after the 12:10 Mass on Wednesdays
- FIRST FRIDAY ADORATION The Blessed Sacrament is Exposed immediately following the 12:10 Mass on First Fridays until Benediction at 5:00 pm.
- MASS OF REMEMBRANCE Deceased parishioners are remembered in a special ceremony preceding the 5:15 Mass on Nov 2nd , All Souls’ Day.
Faith formation opportunities are offered in the Fall and during Lent on a variety of topics designed to enhance the faith experience and understanding of adult Catholics. The format is Lecture/ video experience and often small group interaction.
Parishioners assist in preparing the church for the Christmas and Easter Seasons.
Tours of our beloved Cathedral church are provided highlighting the architecture, design and history of our magnificent Cathedral.