St. Peter Cathedral is a vibrant parish community. We welcome all to participate in parish life. It is a great way to get to know other members of our community and grow in faith. There are many activities and planned events that enable our parish family to thrive. We rely upon volunteers to facilitate our many offerings. First, since we are joined by the Holy Spirit and our shared Catholic Faith, we ask for your prayers. Second, we warmly invite you to attend any of the activities that interest you. Third, you are encouraged to help in keeping with your interests, talent and availability.
Our activities are organized into:
- Spiritual and Liturgical Ministries
- Social and Community Building Activities
- Outreach Ministries.
Spiritual & Liturgical Ministries
- LECTORS proclaim the Word of God at Sunday and daily Mass
- EUCHARISTIC MINISTERS serve as Extra-ordinary Ministers of the Eucharist at weekend and Holy Day Masses and special occasions
- ALTAR SERVERS fourth grade and older are welcome to participate in this special ministry
- MINISTERS OF HOSPITIALITY (Ushers and Greeters) welcome worshippers and collect the offertory at Mass.
- CHILDREN’S LITURGY OF THE WORD welcomes preschool through second grade children to Synod Hall during the Liturgy of the Word on Sundays at 8:30. Mass. Volunteers must have clearances
- CHOIR The Adult Choir Sings at the 11:00 Sunday Mass and other special events and practices at 10:15 on Sunday mornings. The Children’s Choir sings at the 8:30 Mass on Sunday.
- RELIGIOUS EDUCATION/YOUTH MINISTRY/EDGE takes place at St. Joseph Bread of Life community and includes weekly education and activities throughout the school year including preparation for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation.
- RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) welcomes Catechumens and Candidates interested in full participation in the Catholic Faith.
- PRE-CANA is offered yearly to members of the Erie Diocese preparing for the Sacrament of Marriage
- PRAYER CHAIN receives prayer requests and passes them along to those who have offered to pray.
- 31 CLUB “pray”ers commit to praying for vocations one day/month
- LITURGY OF THE HOURS are opportunities for communal prayer on Sundays during Advent and Lent and during the days of the Triduum
- THE ROSARY is prayed in communally after the 12:10 Mass on Wednesdays
- FIRST FRIDAY ADORATION The Blessed Sacrament is Exposed immediately following the 12:10 Mass on First Fridays until Benediction at 5:00 pm.
- MASS OF REMEMBRANCE Deceased parishioners are remembered in a special ceremony preceding the 5:15 Mass on Nov 2nd , All Souls’ Day.
Faith formation opportunities are offered in the Fall and during Lent on a variety of topics designed to enhance the faith experience and understanding of adult Catholics. The format is Lecture/ video experience and often small group interaction.
Parishioners assist in preparing the church for the Christmas and Easter Seasons.
Tours of our beloved Cathedral church are provided highlighting the architecture, design and history of our magnificent Cathedral.
Social & Community Building
WELCOME COMMITTEE AND SOCIAL provides outreach to new parishioners with a gesture of welcome and an invitation to a special gathering in their honor.
Parish Community Gatherings
- FIRST WEEKEND of the month gatherings are held after Masses with donuts/cookies and coffee.
- EPIPHANY DINNER is held on the Feast of the Epiphany after the 11:00 Mass
- 100 DAYS OF SCHOOL PIZZA PARTY is held after a 4:00 Saturday Mass at the end of January
- SOUP FEST is held after a 4:00 Saturday Mass in the Spring,
- PICNIC ON THE LAWN is held in June (near the Feast of St. Peter and Paul)
- BACK TO SCHOOL BLESSING is held after a 4:00 Saturday Mass.in the Fall
- ANNUAL FAMILY BREAKFAST is held after an 8:30 Mass in the Fall.
WOMEN’S GATHERINGS include Spring and Christmas Luncheons and our Wine, Women and Watercolors painting event. Other activities occur and are well publicized.
ERIE COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES are planned family outings to Sporting Events and periodic adult gatherings at a restaurant/bar for a social time.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS – our Chapter meets monthly, holds periodic fundraisers and joins with Knights throughout the Diocese for special events.
BEREAVEMENT COMMITTEE sends condolence notes to family members of deceased parishioners. Parish representatives attend funerals held at the Cathedral
FOOD PANTRY distributes groceries on the second and last Tuesdays of the month from 2:25-4:15 month to those in our neighborhood who meet Second Harvest and USDA guidelines. Special food and necessity drives are held throughout the year.
SUNDAY SUPPER FOR THE NEEDY The Cathedral parish prepares and serves a meal at “Sunday Supper” at the Church of the Covenant twice/year
BISHOP’S BREAKFAST St. Peter Parishioners are active organizers and benefactors of the Bishop’s Breakfast Program each weekday morning
DAYS(S) OF CARING are held on the first Sundays of both Advent and Lent. Parishioners who are homebound or in nursing homes receive a visit and a gift from the parish.
ST. MARY’S DAY Twice a year our Rector celebrates Mass at both St. Mary’s East and West. Mass is followed by a social for the residents hosted by parishioners
PETER’S PRESENTS Christmas gifts are provided to needy children and their families in the Community identified by their schools (currently Mother Theresa Academy and the Benjamin Wiley Charter School.
CHURCH WOMEN UNITED provides Christmas stockings with toiletries to residents of Warren State Hospital
OUR WEST BAYFRONT NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH Parishioners participate in and provide treats during sponsored events such as National Night out.