Home/History/Cathedral Crypt

Saint Peter Cathedral Crypt

The crypt is the final resting place of Erie’s Past Bishops. Located directly beneath the high altar, the crypt was first envisioned by Bishop Fitzmaurice and completed in October of 1902. The original design contained twelve marble niches in which the bishops of the Diocese of Erie would be buried. On October 29, 1902, after the celebration of a pontifical requiem mass by Bishop Fitzmaurice, two of his predecessors, Bishops Young and Mullen were placed in the crypt. Presently there are six bishops buried in the crypt:

  • Bishop Young
  • Bishop Mullen
  • Bishop Fitzmaurice
  • Bishop Gannon
  • Bishop McManaman
  • Bishop Watson